ASI, the lay Adventist business and professional organisation held its 4th National Convention at Beula Park, Germiston from 21-22 July 2017, where it elected new leaders and lifted a staggering offering.
ASI is a global Adventist association of business people, professionals, workers and supporting ministries with a burden to share the gospel in the market place. On 21-22 July it had its national convention that provided an opportunity to:
- Network with other Christian businesses and professionals
- Hear inspiring devotionals and sermons from sought-after speakers like Dr Delbert Baker, (Vice chancellor of Adventist University of Africa), Dr Solomon Maphosa (SID President), Dr Dave Spencer (SAU President), Ps Michael Ngwaru (SID SSPM Director), Dr Muyabala Muna (Swaziland Health Director) and others.
- Experience exceptional music – which was of the highest calibre
- Get an update on ASI’s latest activities and projects
- Play a role in making a difference to God’s work in Southern Africa
ASI launched 2 new exciting projects at the Convention, which undoubtedly are going to have a major impact on God’s work:
- ASI’s Business Accelerator (ASIBA), designed to accelerate the formation of sustainable Adventist start-up ventures
- A Lifestyle and Wellness Training Programme, aimed at training coaches & promoters; and mentoring companies who wish to establish financially sustainable lifestyle centers
One of the highlights of the weekend was the offering that was collected. A goal of R300 000 was initially set, but God worked in such a powerful way that R1 050 000 was raised!! What a milestone!! ASI is surely growing in stature and this offering will be put to great use in furthering God’s cause in the SAU territory.
Furthermore, about 63 new people enlisted as ASI members at the Convention.
Our congratulations goes out the the following leaders who were elected at the weekend (more appointments will be confirmed in the weeks to come):
Jerome Linderboom: President
Prof Themba Sirayi: General Vice President
Prof Barwa Kanyane: Vice President: Professional Services
Ll’wellyn Swart: Vice President: Finance
Sam Alexander: Vice President: Business Development
Dr Alvin Masarira: Vice-President: Northern Conference Chapter
Bafana Ngwenya: Vice-President: Trans-Orange Conference Chapter
Wilfred Nyiki: Vice-President: Cape Conference Chapter
Brian Hall: Vice-President: Kwa-Zulu Natal Free State Conference Chapter
This ASI weekend was certainly inspiring. Dr Delbert Baker even noted that though he had attended many ASI’s in America, he can truly say that this weekend ranks among one of his best, if not the best.
So let us support ASI and use every platform and opportunity to share Christ in the marketplace – and thus hasten our Saviour’s soon return.